I have come to realize that service doesn’t have to be complicated or take lots of planning. If you love people and desire to help them, that’s really all it takes. Service is something we can make part of our daily life, and it’s also a fun way to make others feel special. Here are five simple (and impactful) ways you can serve the homeless community all year long!
1) Carry Granola Bars: Keeping granola bars in your car, in your purse, or work bag as you walk the streets of Philadelphia is a manageable way to help those in need. Philadelphia has an estimated 4,000 homeless individuals throughout the city. Many feel alone and hungry. Giving granola bars to those less fortunate is an easy way to meet an immediate need.
2) Volunteer: Volunteering at Sunday Breakfast Rescue Mission is a great way to give back! Every day, I’m excited about all the ways I can personally lend a helping hand, like serving meals, and I hope you will join me this year. At the Mission meals are served three times a day, 365 days a year. It’s easy to sign up on the Sunday Breakfast website or contact the volunteer coordinator at email@example.com, if you want to help feed empty bellies during the cold winter months or throughout the year.
3) Pray: Prayer is a powerful tool to ignite change, in your life, and in the lives of others. Because of prayer, many of our chaplains see first-hand how God is transforming the lives of the homeless men in our Overcomer Program. A simple way to make a difference in the lives of our homeless neighbors is praying for them. You can pray for the homeless men and women you see walking the streets before bed at night, or gather with your church family to pray for homeless individuals being sheltered at Sunday Breakfast!
4) Clean Out Your Closet: Cleaning out that closet is an easy way to give back, although it may not seem like a simple task. Donating items that are in good condition, but you rarely wear, can really go a long way. Every few months sort through items that may fit that category, give them a wash, and toss them into a plastic bag and donate them. At the Mission, we’re really in need of boots and other winter clothing. Every little bit helps and they truly bless the homeless brothers and sisters the Mission serves.
5) Donate: Supporting the Mission financially is really the simplest way to make a difference. Giving within your means, no matter the amount, can change the lives that are touched daily at the Mission. One meal at the Mission only costs $1.95. That’s it! A $20 donation can feed approximately 10 of our guests and a $50 donation can feed an estimated 25 guests. To learn more about how to partner with Sunday Breakfast financially visit www.sundaybreakfast.org/donate!